Now that i’m into my third trimester i have been hungry nearly alllllll the time! I’m not using pregnancy as an excuse to eat constantly and eat rubbish though so i have some regular snacks that i make sure i’m always stocked up on to ensure that i’m still eating healthy and not over eating! Nutrition is important for a healthy pregnancy, but it’s okay to eat some junk food every now and then too, i’ve consumed my fare share over the last couple of months! I have put together a few tips to help you get back on track and give your body and baby the goodness that it needs.
- Try and drink a lot of water, i don’t like just chugging a glass of water but i love water with a couple of slices of lemon in (this is also better for you). It jumpstarts your digestive juices so try and carry a bottle around with you.
- Try and make better choices such as fresh and unprocessed food but don’t beat yourself up if you inhaled a few doughnuts for breakfast!
- Omega-3s are great for your brain health, and your baby’s. You can find them in pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, eggs, green vegetables and low mercury fish such as salmon.
- Boost your iron intake. You are using a lot more iron to make all that extra blood for your baby. Green leafy veg is a great source of iron.
People are always telling you that you are ‘eating for two now’ and that’s not true (i wish it was). In your second trimester you just need to up your calorie intake by about 330 and in the third trimester around 500 calories per day. This isn’t a strict ‘count your calories daily’ thing, just a guideline.
Smoothies are a great way to pack something full of goodness and consume easily & quickly. This is a smoothie that i make occasionally. It contains fibre, iron, vitamin C and E, calcium, potassium, magnesium and zinc. Just blitz a handful of kale, spinach, half a lemon, a cup of almond milk, a pear, a banana and sometimes some protein powder.
You may also develop some cravings in pregnancy! I haven’t craved anything specific yet but i will keep you updated. I have been leaning more towards fancying fresh fruit and salads more occasionally though so i hope this carries on!
ENJOY YOUR FOOD and remember it’s okay to have those pigging out moments!
Some of my fave snacks-
- Smoothies – I have been lucky in the fact that i have been craving more fruit instead of things like sweets, so a smoothie is a great way to pack something full of goodness and for it to still taste amazing. My favourite at the minute that i make nearly every morning is a banana, passion fruit, berries & oats smoothie with almond milk. I always add protein powder to smoothies and shakes.
- Cheese – I love a cheese salad sandwich & to just snack on some different types of cheese with crackers.
- Caesar salads – This is more of a meal than a snack but its so quick and easy and can throw in anything, It’s also surprisingly filling so i eat them quite often.
- Granola bars – These are a great healthy snack and something that I ate a lot of in the first trimester when it was hard to stomach anything!
- Veggie sticks with hummus – These are so easy to make and tasty, just chop up some veggies such as carrots, celery, cucumber & dunk them in a big pot of hummus!
- Crisps and dips – An unhealthy snack but I love chilling out with a big bag of Doritos and dips, luckily i have a partner to share them with so i don’t end up eating the whole bag!
I’m still waiting to really crave something, but some people don’t crave anything throughout pregnancy.
Lots of Love, Cyah xxx